27 January 2008

Day 2

So I was pooped on less than 45 minutes ago.

I wish I could have written one more entry before I arrived so that I had a recording of my frantic energy and attempts to clear my mind of expectations and the like. I really wanted to try not to imagine this place as anywhere I had ever been, make the obvious culture comparisons and judgements and also not delude myself into thinking that I could ever "get a handle" on the place (which I won't). Right now I'm just trying to keep my head.

In a few minutes Kate, Sumathy (one half of the Indian couple who runs the orphanage), and our new friend Chris, an amazing girl from Idaho, are going to go get some sari's, which will come in handy since my only real pair of pants I brought have infant diarrhea on them. Okay, so I guess it made it a little less horrible since the little 4 month old girl who pooped on me is one of the most adorable creatures I've ever seen, and yes, this was only the first time it happened and I anticipate many more to come. They don't wear diapers, so walking barefoot around the orphanage (no shoes inside) is an adventure in and of itself.

So Ranjith and Sumathy run this place, called Bala Gurukulam, and they are the only orphanage in south India that takes in infants. These kids' stories of how they were found are absolutely heartbreaking. There are 43 kids, and I have never seen anything like it. The older kids (even the 5 year olds) take care of all the babies, and take care of the place. I just can't believe I'm seeing a kid barely out of diapers (or diaper wearing age, since they rarely wear them) walking around, wiping the noses of the toddlers or cleaning up vomit. Its incredible. And they are so happy. Its a miracle what Ranjith and Sumathy are doing. Apparently, as we've learned from Chris, who has some of the craziest travel-orphanage-leper colony stories I've ever heard, this place is the cream of the Indian orphanage crop. We are so damn lucky that we found a place that is actually legit, and two Indians that we can trust. I know it sounds horrible and one of my 'objectives' before coming here was not to make too many generalizations, but so much for that.

Kate and I are really excited and shellshocked. Still getting used to the no toilet paper (although we have access to a sit down toilet, which is exciting), eating off banana leaves on the floor using only the right hand, changing a 'yes' nod into the 'yes' head bobble and trying not to make eye contact with any men. But oh my God those orphans are amazing, and we are already so in love with them. Our jobs are basically to hold the babies a lot, teach the slightly older kids English, and comfort them if they wake up in the night.

So, basically, aside from the crazy malaria filled mosquitoes, the guarantee of having some lice of our own very soon, and the threat of hepatitus, we are safe, sound and well taken care of. I'll try to post some photos soon.

3 comments:

Klutina Lake said...

I am so happy that you two have made it there safe and sound. What an adventure to come. I wish that I could be there with you two share my love. I don't know if I would be able to return home knowing what an impact you have on those loving childrens lives. Take Care, Jennifer

Anonymous said...

That sounds amazing. Scary, yes, but amazing. And it's always better to be pooped on by something adorable. I wish you luck with the lice, and I hope you don't have to shave your head...I've always loved your hair. Hope you get a chance to post again soon, and wishing you the best! Say hi to Kate for me! I hope to hear all of Chris's crazy stories this summer. :)

-Nelli

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am planning to go to INdia to volunteer at Bala Gurukulam, any advice? It's my first trip to volunteer so I am a bit apprehensive about safety and etc

claudiaaa25@hotmail.com