04 February 2008

Brownie

That is the name of the nasty guard dog that lives at the orphanage, who likes the children but no one else. If Kate or I so much as glance at him he starts growling. I'm not sure how he does it, but he manages to get loose sometimes, and the kids start running around and screaming "Sist-ah, sist-ah! Brownie!" This is a good time to run inside a room or high enough where he can't get to us. This kids love how dramatic it all is, but Kate and I are not too eager to find out what he would do if he saw us when he wasn't tied up.

So Kate and I did get sick earlier last week, I think it was the third day we were here, and so we had a day where we hardly left the bed except to be sick in the bathroom. We're not sure what it was, probably just getting used to the food. We felt fine the next day. The only bad thing is that, when you are served food by someone here, it is very rude not to finish everything in front of you, and ask for more. And they heap the food on. Normally when you get sick you don't have to eat the food that you threw up for the next five meals. That was rough, but we are pretty much used to the food now and I'm really starting to enjoy it. Everything except the yellow seasoning that I could taste every time I was sick. Ranjith showed us how to cook some things yesterday, which was pretty neat.

We were invited to a wedding this weekend so we will get to wear our new saree's. I'm so excited. The state we are in, Tamil Nadu, is very conservative, so no shorts, no tank tops. I think I forgot to mention that it is in the upper 80s most days with 95% humidity. But we stay pretty cool since we are in the shade most of the day. Mollie, I meant to thank you for the long skirt you gave me, it is perfect. The first night I wore it Dina, a 10 year old boy, really liked it. He said, "Sist-ah. Skirt, very super!" So thanks.

Hope everyone is well at home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh. Sorry about the throwing up...not fun! But I'm glad to hear that you're starting to get used to the Way Things Are.

Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hi sis,
I think that my emails are not going through to you. Just want you to know that I've sent two... let me know if you get them or not. oxox mom

little john said...

did you get any pictures of Brownie, the guard dog?? or did he not like having his picture taken?