23 March 2009

Alaska Wish List

There are sooo many things I would love to do in Alaska. When I think about them I get that really giddy, excited feeling that happens when I start daydreaming about places I'd like to go. Only this is even better because its in my own state, and therefore, feels more likely that I'll go on some of these trips. When I write about them I want to put it ALL IN CAPS AND USE LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!! but really that just seems like shouting and doesn't accurately represent my enthusiasm. Anyway.

1. Float the Copper River

Oh this one hurts a little, because I've had a couple of opportunities to go on this trip but couldn't because I was working. Put-in next to the fish wheels in Chitina and take out at the bridge outside of Cordova. It would be great to do it over 3-4 days, maybe stop and kite along the way. Hopefully the weather would be glorious and not crazy awful like it can be and hopefully the Alaska Bar in Cordova would happily greet us.

2. Kodiak

I know little, but I've heard there are some good kiting spots here. Plus, its the second biggest island in the US. Plus, I heard there is a King Crab Festival.

3. Yakutat

I could be wrong, but I heard that its the most isolated place in Alaska? I'd love to get there by boat. And even though I don't surf, it would be awesome to see someone else do it there.

4. Take state ferries from Prince Rupert all the way home

and stop in Ketchikan, Craig, SITKA, Juneau, Hoonah, Petersburg, Wrangell, Skagway, Haines.

5. Hike the Chilkoot Trail

6. Float the Talkeetna

Fly-in, enjoy non-coastal Alaskan summer weather, booze cruise.

7. Visit Katmai

Where you can see the bears up close.

8. Visit Nome for the end of the Iditarod

9. Kite Lake Iliamna

10. Drive the Dalton Highway

11. Camp on Kayak Island

12. Flight-see in the Wrangell St. Elias mountains

1 comment:

johnny said...

why is katmai all the way down at #7 on the list??? you would rather float some boring river than slap a bear on the haunches and watch him scamper off or feed a cute little bear cub out of your hand??